Post Study Work Visa (Discontinued)
The Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW) Visa, although discontinued, is still held by some international workers in the United Kingdom. It was for highly skilled migrant workers, entrepreneurs, and foreign students that wanted to work in the United Kingdom. Foreign students graduating from a UK university could apply to stay and work in the country after the completion of their studies. The issue was issued for a period of 2 years, and was not extendable. However, applicants could transfer to another visa category.
PSW visa holders could take up employment anywhere in the United Kingdom, without needing a sponsor during their stay in the country.
- Allowed international students who studied in the United Kingdom to stay and work in the country without a sponsorship
- Successful applicants could live and work in the UK for a period of 2 years
- Allowed to transfer to any other Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa at any time
- Dependents could stay in the United Kingdom with the principal applicant
Under the PSW visa, dependents and spouses of the applicant count stay in the UK during the length of the principal applicant’s visa, and could study or work without restrictions.
To apply for the Post Study Work visa, foreign students would need to be in the country with permission to stay under the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS), International Graduates Scheme (IGS) or Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme (FT: WISS), or were in the United Kingdom as a student. The basic requirement for the PSW visa was to score a minimum of 95 points.
Applicants must have successfully completed their course and must have one of the following qualifications:
- A recognized UK degree at the bachelor or a postgraduate level
- A UK postgraduate certificate or diploma
- A Higher National Diploma qualification from a recognized Scottish institution.
The minimum maintenance funds required for the principal applicant was £2,800, with an additional £1,600 for each dependent if applying from outside the country for three months before application. For applicants already in the United Kingdom, they must show evidence of £900 for the principal applicant, and £800 for each dependent, in their bank account for three months before applying for the PSW visa.