Tier 5 Visa: Temporary Workers and Youth Mobility

Tier 5 visas for temporary workers and youth mobility are perfect for cultural exchanges and youth that visit the United Kingdom for working holidays. Professional artists and sports people can use these visas to travel to the United Kingdom for special events such as concerts or the Olympics. However, they are non-immigrant, temporary visas and only give visa holders access to the country for a fixed amount of time, and for a fixed purpose.

There are 6 categories of Tier 5 visas:

Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility Scheme Visas that are issued by participating countries are suitable for applicants aged between 18 to 30 years, and are valid for a maximum of 24 months. Additionally, applicants are not allowed to bring dependents with them, nor can they be self-employed while in the UK in any way.

Temporary Workers

Temporary worker visas are valid for 24 months at most and are good for workers that don’t qualify for a Tier 2 visa. If the principal visa is valid for more than 12 months, they can bring dependents to the United Kingdom with them.

Creative Artists & Sports People

Creative artists and sportspeople can use this visa to visit the United Kingdom for special events and concerts. However, sponsors must guarantee that the applicants won’t pose a threat to domestic workers.

Charity/Voluntary Workers

Volunteers and charity workers can apply for this visa to visit the United Kingdom for a limited time if they are sponsored by a reputable charity organization. The sponsor would need to guarantee that the activity the applicants are visiting the United Kingdom for is relevant to the organization and will not exceed the given timeframe.

Religious Workers

Religious workers can use this visa to visit the United Kingdom, provided they don’t conduct large religious worship or preaching activities while in the country. The faith community must sponsor them and ensure they follow the visa’s regulations.

Government Authorized Exchange

The United Kingdom has diplomatic relations with several countries across the globe, and as part of those relations, the said countries share knowledge and expertise on a routine basis. Individuals sponsored by their home country and organizations can use these visas to travel to the United Kingdom for knowledge sharing or development through accredited schemes.


Tier 5 visas require a sponsorship certificate issued by the government of the applicant’s home country.